1. Mere Haseen Sathiya (Mangti - 1942) with Zeenat Begum
One of Rafi's first songs(probably his second song!), with another great singer - Zeenat Begum.
2. Aji Dil Ho Qabu Mein To (Village Girl -1945) with G. M. Durrani and chorus.
Rafi's first Hindi song, a duet with G. Mustafa Durrani. He sings for K. Nazir, who later was the husband of blockbuster Rattan's heroine Swarnalata. This song was composed by Shyam Sundar and sung in the Noorjehan starrer Village Girl/Gaon Ki Gori. In this movie all chorus singers are also awesome.
3. Haye Re Duniya (Zeenat - 1946) with Madam Noorjehan on screen.
This is one of best early songs. Even at the young age of 21, he sounded great. Music is by Meer Saheb and Hafiz Ali Khan Mastana, for the famous Noorjehan starrer Zeenat. Of course, Madam is lovely to watch. All songs in this movie are outstanding, including the famous first female Qawwali in films by Noorjehan, Zohrabai and Kalyani - Aahen Na Bhari.
4. Tera Khilona Toota Balak (Anmol Ghadi - 1946)
This song is for the Noorjehan starring blockbuster Anmol Ghadi, music by Naushad. Picturised on a toy-seller. Surprisingly a lot of Rafi's early songs are in Noorjehan's movies.
5. Yahan Badla Wafa Ka (Jugnu - 1947) with Madam Noorjehan, picturised on herself and Dilip Kumar.
Rafi's first song to become famous, a really lovely duet with then famous diva Malika-E-Tarannum or queen of melody Madam Noorjehan, sung for a young Dilip Kumar. Music by Feroze Nizami. Incidentally Rafi Sahab also played a small role in the film! Actually Durrani was supposed to sing the song, but Madam, impressed with Rafi, recommended and persuaded Feroze to make him sing the song.
6. Ye Zindgi Ke Mele (Mela - 1948)
A lovely number by a young Rafi, for the Dilip Kumar - Nargis starrer Mela, music by Naushad.
7. Waah Re Zamane Kya Rang Dikhaye (Ghar Ki Izzat - 1948)
Another really wonderful melody by Rafi in the Dilip Kumar-Mumtaz Shanti starrer Ghar Ki Izzat. Composer Pandit Gobindram has utilised his voice well. This movie also has wonderful songs.
8. Nadiya Mein Utha Hain (Babul - 1950) with Shamshad Begum and Talat Mehmood
A very beautiful Rafi-Shamshad-Talat trio from Babul, Talat sings for Dilip Kumar, Shamshad Begum sings for Munawar Sultana(a lesser known actress whom I like) and Rafi sings for a fisherman. Superb musical score by Naushad.
9. Suhani Raat Dhal Chuki (Dulari - 1949)
A touching "waiting" song by Rafi for Suresh in Dulari, with great music by Naushad.
10. Toot Gaya Haye (Magroor - 1950) with Rajkumari and Shamshad Begum, two melody queens
A lovely trio in Magroor with Shamshad and Rajkumari. Very nice musical score by Sajjad Hussain. A very astounding and rare combination of a young and beautiful Meena Kumari and Rajkumari! Shamshad sings for Nigar Sultana and Rafi sings for quite a young and good-looking Rehman.
11. Hum Banjare Sang Hamare (Sajan - 1947) with Zohrabai Ambalewali
A very rare and pleasing duet of Rafi and melody queen Zohrabai Ji, lovely music by Chitalkar Ramachandra, inspired by Arabian Music.
12. Aansoo Thi Meri (Bikhre Moti - 1951) with Amirbai Karnataki
Two melody rulers come together - melody king Rafi and Kannada Kokila (i. e. Nightingale of Karnataka) Amirbai Karnataki Ji. A good musical score by Ghulam Mohammed, who made Rafi sing some rare duets.
13. Kehdo Hamen Na Beqarar Kare (Sabak - 1950) with Surinder Kaur
Awesome duet by Rafi and Surinder Kaur, music by the great Ustad Alla Rakha.
14. Hue Ham Jinke Liye Barbaad (Deedar - 1951)
Quite a famous and great melody by Rafi Sahab on Dilip Kumar in Deedar, also starring Ashok Kumar and Nargis. Nice music by Naushad.
15. Tu Ganga Ki Mauj Main Jamuna Ka Dhara (Baiju Bawra - 1952)
A true classic picturised on Bharat Bhushan in the famous Baiju Bawra, music by Naushad.
16. Insaf Ka Mandir Hai Ye Bhagwan Ka Ghar Hai (Amar - 1954)
A nice and devotional song in Amar, music by Naushad and Dilip Kumar, Madhubala and Nimmi on screen.
17. O Door Ke Musafir (Uran Khatola - 1955)
A really touching melody, music by Naushad and Dilip Kumar and Nimmi on screen.
18. Saathi Haath Badhana (Naya Daur - 1957) with Asha Bhonsle
A lively and arising duet with Asha, another melody queen. Music by O.P.Nayyar.
19. Madhuban Mein Radhika Nache Re (Kohinoor - 1960)
One of my all-time favourite Rafi songs, a classical sung with great perfection, splendid music by Naushad and picturised on Dilip Kumar (at his best as always) and Kumkum's lovely dance, also Meena Kumari stars in this movie. Such was Dilip Sahab's devotion to his carrier that he injured his hands trying to really play the Sitar. Also Mukri sings some lines very nicely and I like that a lot.
20. Chaudhvin Ka Chand Ho Ya Aaftab Ho (Chaudhvin Ka Chand - 1960)
Beautiful song and super imagery, music by Ravi. The movie stars Guru Dutt and Waheeda Rehman.
And here ends my tribute to the indisputable Rafi. You shall eternally be remembered, Rafi Sahab!